In this post we're going to learn about the 4 entry level yacht jobs that are options for new yacht crew who have no prior experience working on a boat. We will also go over the following topics:
- The 15 crucial qualities that every yachtie must possess
- Job descriptions, useful skills, and sample tasks and duties for:
For more information about yacht jobs, click here to download part 1 of The Yacht Job Handbook for free.
There are all types of different tasks that need to be performed around the clock to maintain a yacht and keep it running smoothly. While some of the job positions on board are very technical and require a lot of skill and knowledge, there are 4 entry level jobs that require little to no prior experience. The most common entry level jobs on a yacht are some variation of:
1. Yacht Stewardess / Steward
2. Deckhand Yacht Jobs
3. Cook / Chef Yacht Jobs
4. Stew / Deck / Cook Yacht Jobs
15 CRUCIAL QUALITIES THAT EVERY YACHTIE MUST POSSESS
While prior experience isn’t necessary to perform the duties of an entry-level crew member, there are a few abilities and qualities that every member of a yacht crew must be able to demonstrate if they want to succeed. Whether you’re a greenhorn or a seasoned vet (while you’re working) you must be:
- Composed Under Pressure
- Able to Maintain Discretion
- Able to Maintain Safety
- Able to Aid in Emergencies
- Able to Follow Orders
- Able to Prioritize Tasks
- Able to Learn and Act Quickly
Tips and Tricks
Always keep an open mind and try new things - you may think you are meant to be a stewardess and find that working on deck suits you more, or vice versa.
Don’t get too intimidated when looking at the skills and duties listed below. While these are skills you will be expected to learn and cultivate eventually, (the quicker the better,) you don’t necessarily have to have prior experience when you’re just starting out.
Teamwork makes the dream work. As a member of the crew you’re part of a team, so you should expect to help out anyone and everyone on board if necessary, even if it’s not technically a normal part of your job or department.
SUPER YACHT CREW JOBS
You may have a very impressive resume back on land, but college degrees and PHD’s will not go far on the 7 seas! If you’re serious about pursuing a job on a yacht- you will have to work your way up the ranks one step at a time. Whether you want to start a new career, or just try it out for a year, you’re going to have to start….
YACHT JOB DESCRIPTIONS
You’ve gotta get in where you fit in!
Let’s take a closer look at each of these positions so that you can decide for yourself: which crew are you!? Below we will go over the general overview of each position. If you would like to learn more about what type of personal skills are necessary to perform the typical day to day duties.
- As a stewardess your domain is going to be the interior of the boat, meaning a majority of your time will be spent inside.
- You will be responsible for the upkeep, appearance, and cleanliness of everything, and you will be expected to do so with an an extremely strong attention to detail. A guest should never have to be burdened with the site of one single finger print or speck of dirt on any surface!
- Your daily tasks will have a strong emphasis on:
- Guest Service
- This position is more commonly held by females, although not always.
- Many boats are now combining the roles of a stewardess with those of a deckhand or even a cook.
- This job is great for high energy, resourceful, and well organized individuals. You will be expected to work around the clock, ensuring that the guests’ needs are met. The word “no” is no longer a part of your vocabulary. Their wish is your command!
Useful Skills for a Yacht Stewardess
The following are skills that are useful or necessary to perform the duties of a stewardess:
- Silver Service
- Guest Hospitality
- Event Planning
- Table Setting
- Napkin Folding
- Strong Attention to Detail
- International Etiquette
- Child Care / Nannying
- As a deckhand you are responsible for the exterior of the boat, and a majority of your time will be spent outside. Keep this in mind if you can’t handle the sun beating down on you all day!
- You basically have to make sure the exterior of the boat looks brand new at all times, which can be a LOT of work, and let’s just say- manual labor.
- You also have a lot to do with preparations for leaving and arriving to port, as well as any of the watersports or other outside toys that come along with the boat such as jet skis, paddle boards, inflatable floats / slides, etc.
- You must monitor and maintain the safety of the guests and crew at all times.
- When guests are on board you will help prepare and execute any outdoor excursions such as snorkeling, fishing diving, surfing, beach picnics, etc. (and sometimes you may even get to participate.)
- A majority of deckhands are male, but there is a fast growing number of female deckhands or deck/stews in the industry. I was a deck/stew on my first boat and highly recommend it!
- This is a great job for a strong, adventurous, outdoorsy person who is able to spend long hours outside in the sun, and doesn’t mind getting wet, sweaty, salty, and sandy on a regular basis. Physical strength and stamina are 100 % necessary.
Useful Skills for a Deckhand on a Yacht
The following are skills that are useful or necessary to perform the duties of a deckhand on a yacht:
- Cleaning / Washing
- Waxing / Polishing
- Boat Driving
- Line Handling
- Tying Knots
- Securing / Stowing / Covering Furniture
- Woodwork / Varnishing
- Watersports / Fishing
- Mechanics / Engineering
- Physical Strength / Stamina
MAKE THIS DREAM JOB YOUR REALITY!
Chef / Cook
- As a chef your domain is the galley (the kitchen of a boat) and nothing else. You may spend 16 + hours in the galley all day if that is what the job entails. Many people would agree that on many boats- this is the most tedious position of all.
- While most chefs are very experienced, some smaller boats will hire on less experienced “cooks” or even just people who claim they can cook, and often times that role may be combined with a stewardess or deckhand position.
- As a chef aboard a superyacht you are expected to concoct culinary masterpieces for every single meal that the guests eat on board. You must be knowledgeable, versatile, and creative and it is advised that you really have a passion for preparing food because you will be doing it around the clock!
Useful Skills for a Yacht Chef
The following are skills that are useful or necessary to perform the duties of a yacht chef:
- Strong Culinary Background, Education, and Skills
- Extensive Experience in a Professional Kitchen
- Meal Planning / Preparation
- Food / Wine Pairing
- Gourmet Food Presentation
- Time and Space Management
- Food Prep / Handling
- Table Settings
- Adaptability / Flexibility
Stew / Deck / Cook
- As I mentioned above, many boats combine the roles of a deckhand, stewardess, or cook into a hybrid position in which you basically carry out a variety of tasks that depend upon what is the most urgent, or which of the work detail circumstances (listed below) the boat is in.
- In this case you just bounce around to where you are needed most and serve as an assistant to the rest of the crew. It is a great opportunity to learn the foundations of all of the positions on board and eventually decide which position you truly enjoy the most if /when the day comes that you have to choose one.
- There is really no end to the different variations of tasks you will have to perform in one of these combined / hybrid positions.
Tips and Tricks
- My advice to you if you get a job offer for one of the “joint positions above” is to make sure that it is clear of what is expected of you before you accept the job.
- Sometimes (not too often) new crew get taken advantage of by accepting a position (with low pay!) and ending up having to perform way more duties than what is fair or even humanly possible.
- On the other hand- I highly recommend a joint position as long as you know what you’re getting yourself into and everything seems fair.
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW TO BECOME A YACHTIE
ENTER TO WIN!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel and you will automatically be entered to win a free digital download of The Yacht Job Handbook. A new winner is chosen every Friday.
GET MY FREE GUIDE
ENTER YOUR EMAIL BELOW TO GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY BRAND NEW ONLINE COURSE FOR NEW YACHT CREW: