YACHT JOBS: TOP WAYS TO NETWORK ONLINE
Although you may not be embarking on your journey anytime soon, it’s never too early to get acquainted with the various outlets for networking online for yacht crew members.
In this section, we will learn various strategies and techniques for getting ahead of the game and gaining a competitive advantage over your fellow peers in the yacht industry job market.
A majority of yachties wait until after they’ve completed their training to begin exploring job sites, Facebook groups, and signing up with crew agents. By being proactive and getting ahead of the game, you’ll be applying for jobs and landing interviews while other newbies are still trying to figure out how to write a CV! We’ll cover networking much more extensively later in this guide, but here is a brief introduction of the 3 Best places to find entry-level yacht jobs on the internet:
1. YACHT CREW AGENCIES
2. YACHT CREW JOB SITES
3. YACHT CREW FACEBOOK GROUPS
7 WAYS TO GET AHEAD OF THE GAME
Open the International Yacht Crew Resources Directory in Part 1 of this guide and use it as a reference as you read through this section. Then complete the exercises in the Skills and Drills Workbook.
1. BROWSE AND EXPLORE THE FOLLOWING NETWORKING RESOURCES:
- Crew agencies
- Job sites
- Facebook groups
- Yacht industry publications
2. CREATE SHORTCUTS ON YOUR WEB BROWSER
- Click on all of the links to resources that are relevant to the yachting hub you plan to relocate to.
- Every week, make it a habit of perusing through these websites to get acquainted with all of the online networking platforms.
3. STUDY AND OBSERVE THE NETWORK ETIQUETTE
- Study and learn the terminology and lingo
- Ask questions, get advice. You’ll find that people can be accommodating and responsive on the Facebook groups and forums.
- Observe other yachties as they look for work and interact with each other
- Look at job postings, what are the job descriptions and skills required?
- How do people respond and submit CVs?
- Which groups seem to be the most/least active?
4. GET ON THE BULLHORN ON YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORKS
- Make a post on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter; whatever handle you use
- Announce to friends and family that you will soon be looking for a job working on a yacht
- Ask if anyone has any advice or connections for you
- Add an image or picture to your post to get more exposure.
5. GET A HEAD START WITH CREW AGENCIES & JOB SITES
- Create logins and explore the crew agency platforms
- Although you can begin filling out your information; be sure to mark your account as “inactive” until you have gotten your training and can begin working
6. HAVE BUSINESS CARDS MADE
- Contact info
- Desired position
- Type of Boat
7. HAVE A STACK OF BUSINESS CARDS AND CV’S PRINTED BEFORE YOU ARRIVE AT PORT
- Check out the Cheat Sheets below for some business card inspiration
- Bring a notebook or folder to keep them organized
- Collect others business cards, take pictures of them and store them in the folder as well.
You're currently reading an excerpt from The Yacht Job Handbook.
This content is from Part 2 Section 3: Gaining a Competitive Advantage, which covers the following topics extensively:
In this section, we learned various strategies and techniques for getting ahead of the game and gaining a competitive advantage over your fellow peers in the yacht industry job market including:
- HOW TO INCREASE JOB OPPORTUNITIES WITH A COMPELLING CV
- THE VIRTUAL MAKEOVER FORMULA
- HOW TO GAIN AN EDGE BY NETWORKING ONLINE
- ARRIVING AT PORT ESSENTIALS
These are all valuable actions you can begin implementing now so that by the time you’re finished training and ready to begin looking for work, you’re already 5 steps ahead and you can hit the ground running. In the next section we’ll explore even more ways to expand your network in the yachting industry. Be sure to complete the exercises in the Skills and Drills Workbook before you leave home to begin your training!
Ready to find out more?
Get Instant Access to The Yacht Job Handbook for the complete step by step guide.
GET MY FREE GUIDE
ENTER YOUR EMAIL BELOW TO GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY BRAND NEW ONLINE COURSE FOR NEW YACHT CREW: